What is a carer?

A carer is anyone, including children and adults who looks after a family member, partner or friend who needs help because of their illness, frailty, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction and cannot cope without their support. The care they give is unpaid. 

Are you a carer?

Some people have been looking after family or friends for years and do not recognise themselves as carers. This is why, at Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust, we value the often life-long support carers provide and recognise them as equal care partners. We want to offer as much guidance and reassurance as possible, to help you in your caring role. 

Who cares for the carer?

On this page you will find lots of links to very helpful resources, ranging from information about support groups for carers and looking after yourself, through to advice on housing and welfare. Registering as a carer at your GP surgery can help with:

  • Flexible appointments

  • Your GP will monitor your health more closely, as they will be more aware of your commitments as a carer and any associated health problems.

Looking after your self

It's really important that you look after yourself during these difficult times. The Five Ways to Well Being are steps you can take to maintain wellbeing, from keeping active to connecting with others. General information on maintaining your mental wellbeing can be found at Keep your Head and cpslmind, as well as the government websiteCambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council provide information on how to get help or to register your self or others as a vulnerable person



Carers assessments and support

Carer assessments for adults caring for adults

  • If the cared for person accessing Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Foundation Trust Mental health services has an allocated Section 75 Social Worker or has a CPFT Adult Social Care arranged package of care,  The carers assessment will be completed by an allocated Social Worker employed as a Social Worker with CPFT under the Section 75 Partnership Agreement.  If you are a carer please contact the key worker or care co ordinator of the cared for person to request a carers assessments. 
  • If the cared for person doesn’t have an allocated Section 75 social worker or an Adult Social Care arranged package of care, the carer can be referred or can self referr to: 
  • Peterborough, /  01733 747474 option 4 
  • Cambridgeshire / 01480 373440   Self-referrals to 0345 045 5202 /

Carer assessments for young carers

Support for carers

For further information about organisations supporting  carers can be found by following these links: 

Adult carers

Parent carers

Young carers

As a patient

As a patient, relative or carer using our services, sometimes you may need to turn to someone for help, advice, and support. 

Patient Advice and Liaison service  Contact the Trust